Friday, June 3, 2011

Permanent Ink



I have five tattoos.  Well, four and a half, technically; I never finished the last one.  I thought they were ever-so-clever when I got them.  I adored tattoos, and to be honest I still have a hard time seeing one and not thinking "oh man that is so awesome I want more ink!"

I am aware of what the Bible says about tattooing or scarification: "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves.  I am the LORD."  (Leviticus 19:27).  I immediately see two reasons why this is perfectly understandable:

  1. God himself lovingly sculpted our bodies.  Do we really have a right to intentionally alter them?  In addition, regardless of any health precautions, tattooing always carries a risk of infection and diseases like Hepatitis B.
  2. Tattoo parlors are, to be blunt, not the sort of venues a Christian should be in.  The culture surrounding body modification is generally... unseemly.  In fact, tattooing in America originally came from U.S. sailors returning from Japan, where tattoos were worn by members of the Yakuza -- a crime syndicate that would make Al Capone's mafia look like a bunch of teddy bears.
I think it's easy to see why God would take issue with this practice.  We are marring the bodies he created for us, and we are (at least visually) associating ourselves with an unsavory subculture.  I think, just as with any other personal decision, a Christian needs to prayerfully evaluate why he or she is choosing to do something so worldly while claiming to desire to be Christ-like in life.

Now here is my dilemma: what should I do with them?  I'm afraid that professional tattoo removal is out of the question, at least in the near future.  Laser tattoo removal is prohibitively expensive -- in my case, it would likely cost thousands of dollars -- and excruciatingly painful.  I've found an over-the-counter system which is essentially a microdermabrasion kit with the addition of some mysterious lotions, but it's still fairly expensive and I haven't found any indication that it's particularly effective.

Then again, perhaps I'd like to keep them around for a while.  Yes, these markings on my skin come from a period in my life in which, to be honest, I didn't like myself very much.  But now I can see them not as an anchor to my old ways but as a reminder that while ink might be permanent, my past doesn't have to be.  And praise Jesus for that.

6 comments:

  1. Amen :-) It's a hard decision, but I trust that the Lord will lead you in the right way. I was reminded of what Paul says, "and such were some of you BUT NOT ANYMORE!" (1 Corinthians 6:11 - a very, very rough paraphrase!!) I have scars on my body that brought pain to me when I was first saved and I remembered how I WAS, but now- they are simply reminders of the goodness of my Savior. He saved me - all and all and through and through and inside and out.
    Anyway, that's my two cents.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! *utterly surprised and delighted gasp* you added me to your sidebar. I've never been on someone's sidebar before. I am so honored - really! That's too cool :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann,

    I just think it's so wonderful that because of God and our Saviour, our pasts no longer have to be our futures. Our bodies may be marked, but thanks to the blood of Christ our souls are washed clean as freshly-fallen snow. And that is true beauty. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Ann... she's such a schmartie! I lurrrve her☺

    You know we all bear scars of our past live's sin of some kind, and I don't know that that is such a bad thing. It shows that we have experienced life in all its (not)glory. It gives a glimpse of what we have been saved out of. It's part of our witness. Some sweet day all those remainders will be washed away.... but for now they serve His purpose. And that is a wonderful thing♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think there is a difference between having tattoos lingering from the past..and choosing to get more once we are sanctified.

    I can no more change the sin I committed before I was His, than I can change the color of my eyes. However, I can choose to walk in all manners of righteousness now, and put away all corruptible and appearances of corruptible.

    I don't know how I didn't end up with tattoos years ago..but I did. I don't judge when a Christian I know has tattoos, or anything else like that..it's simply a testimony of the life God brought us out of..one of association with the world. He's done the same for me..the only difference is that my litany of sins and my worldly choices are simply more hidden than ink on the arm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - I agree with Andrea (and not just because we have the same name!) "The only difference is that my litany of sins and worldly choices are simply more hidden than ink on the arm." Amen. None of us are free from stains, we ALL of us have had need of being washed clean in the blood of Christ!

    ReplyDelete