Monday, May 30, 2011

Conscientious Objector

The idea popped into my head today.  Though it's uncommon, the Navy can approve a request for discharge based on a sincere change in one's beliefs.  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but considering the fact that my service in the military goes against everything I believe, I think it applies my situation.  I talked with my husband, and he agreed that it would be a good idea to talk with the Chaplain to see what options might be available to me.  If it went through and got approved, I could be discharged several years earlier than my original contract dictates and I would finally be able to prioritize raising my son and taking care of my family and household.

BUT...
There's a 'but.'  There's always a 'but.'

I am also acutely aware that I did make a commitment.  I promised to defend my country and fulfill the duties assigned to me.  As a Christian, how can I go back on a promise just because it makes my life more difficult? Is it possible that this might be the place where God wants me to be?

My husband and I agreed that the only sensible thing to do in this situation, since it is something that seriously affects our lives and our family, is to spend a day fasting and praying for guidance.  Any advice is greatly appreciated and will be prayerfully considered, but I think this is a decision that ultimately needs to be left up to God.

Please pray for us.

--Birdie

No comments:

Post a Comment