Thursday, July 7, 2011

Praying for Casey Anthony

I admit that I didn't follow this story as closely as many others did.  It was on the news a lot while I was at work, but to be honest I tried to avoid watching most of it.  I have my own opinions on publicly airing trials, but that's not the subject of this entry.  To be honest, it's not really about the trial at all.  My entry today is about the way we have acted in response to the death of Caylee Anthony and the subsequent trial and acquittal of her mother.

I watched the last few minutes of the trial, as the jury's verdict was read.  My first knee-jerk reaction was, I think, the same as a majority of people.  What?!  That can't be right!  She's obviously guilty!  For a few minutes I was so upset that I actually felt ill.  That poor little girl will never get justice now.  A murderer has just walked free.  Eventually, though, I realized two uncomfortable things:


One, we don't actually know that she did it.  Yes, we heard witness testimonies and heard about the evidence.  Yes, we know about Ms. Anthony's history and lifestyle.  Yes, there are an overwhelming number of indications that Casey Anthony is guilty.  I myself believe she is guilty.  But the fact remains that only three people in the world actually know the full truth: Caylee Anthony, Casey Anthony, and God.

Two, if Casey Anthony really did commit this act, then as Christians it is not our job to condemn her.  I have seen and heard far too many comments from people taking solace - or worse, joy and satisfaction - in the fact that she will have to answer to God for what she did.  As Christians, it is our job to fervently pray for her.  Pray that she will change her ways and turn to God for guidance.  Pray that she will repent for her sins and beg Christ for forgiveness.

It is comforting to believe that we are morally superior to Casey Anthony.  Our own sins couldn't possibly be as grievous as hers.  "Sure, I helped spread that tiny rumor about so-and-so the other day, but at least I didn't kill someone!"  Unfortunately for us, it doesn't work that way.  On the final Day of Judgment, when we have to stand in front of God and answer for every last one of our sins, we will be no different from Casey Anthony.  Sin is sin is sin - which, conversely, means that Casey Anthony is not beyond redemption.  If at this very moment she cried out, "Forgive me, Father!" her soul would be washed clean.  And that is what we must pray for.

-- Birdie

2 comments:

  1. Very true!

    I also believe she is guilty. However, we all are. That's why she needs Jesus, and why I'm thankful He saved me.

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Amen.
    Thank you for writing this :-)
    - -Ann

    ReplyDelete