Friday, July 1, 2011

Would You Go to Church in Cairo?

While I was in Monterey I met a young Egyptian man (I'll call him "Yusef") who, I discovered, was the son of one of the Arabic teachers at my language school.  It turns out Yusef and his family are Coptic Christians who came to America to escape religious persecution.

I've heard it said that Christianity is the most persecuted religion in the world.  For a long time I scoffed at that statement, because my basis for comparison is how American Christians are treated.  Religious persecution in America consists of protests, verbal confrontation, and anti-Biblical legislation.  I do not deny that these are all horrible things, but they seem a little trivial compared to the fact that Christians in, say, Egypt or Iraq are literally under constant threat of death for going to church.  Case in point: Yusef's sister, "Maryam," bears a scar on her head from having a brick thrown at her.  Her offense?  Walking to church with a Bible in her hand.

It's easy to say that we would worship Christ under any circumstances.  It makes us feel strong and devoted and holy.  I proudly claim that, yes, I would put my life in danger to preach the Gospel.  But would I, really?  Would I still proclaim my devotion to the Messiah with a gun pointed at my head -- or worse, my child?

Today I ask that we all take a few moments to evaluate our relationship with Jesus.  He gave his life for us; would we return the favor?

No comments:

Post a Comment